It seems no matter what you read, there’s some “guru” telling you what is and is not the perfect survival gun. Well, I might as well put my two cents in to this debate as well. My pick is the 30-30 Winchester cartridge and the rifle I choose is the Marlin lever action. Now that I’ve said that, I’ll tell you that the perfect survival gun is the one you happen to have in your hand when a survival situation occurs.
If you happen to be a person who plans on having an emergency, then there are many fine firearms to have in such a situation. A strong argument could be made for the 12 gauge shotgun as being the best survival gun. I would agree with that statement if you’re the type of person who does not practice with your firearm enough to be proficient.
The reasons I like the Marlin 30-30 are many. Here is a list of my reasons why the Marlin gets my nod as the best survival gun.
- They’re cheap. I see them in the local classifieds for under $200
- They’re reliable and durable. The lever action is a strong and reliable mechanism
- They’re easy to use. Just about anyone can be shown how to load and shoot one. This will be helpful if you ever find yourself in a survival situation with people who are not firearms savvy
- They can put a fair amount of lead down range in a short amount of time. Most rifles hold 6 rounds and these can be cycled and fired rather quickly with just a little amount of practice.
- The ammo is readily available. Next to the 22 long rifle, I’d say that the 30-30 is the ammo you’ll find the most of when you really need it.
- The ammo is inexpensive. Recently, I just bought 20 boxes of ammo from Cabela’s during one of their sales for $10.99 a box
- The 30-30 can be very accurate. Much more accurate than the AK-47 and SKS type of semi-auto’s (as well as many AR’s). Also, the round delivers more of a punch than the .223′s and the AK rounds.
And those are the ones that come off the top of my head.
Now if you’re a die hard firearms person, one who practices on a regular basis, then you probably have a lot of guns to choose from. But for the Average Joe, the Marlin 30-30 is hard to be for your one gun arsenal. (okay, you should have a shotgun and a .22 also!)
The 30-30 has enough energy to take any Big Game animal walking North America. In a pinch, it will double as a good defensive weapon with enough power to penetrate thin metal and other materials. It’s easy enough to learn to use that your Wife or Children can be taught how to operate one safely and become proficient with it.
So if you’re just beginning your arsenal and don’t have a boat load of money to buy every type of assault weapon the so called “survival guru’s” say you must have, then give the 30-30 Winchester cartridge a look. While you’re at it, take a look at the Gun Shows or Classifieds and pick up an cheap and reliable survival gun!